Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Let Your Light Shine


Let Jesus’ Light Shine Matthew 5:14-16

“You are the light that gives light to the world. A city that is built on a hill cannot be hidden. And people don’t hide a light under a bowl. They put the light on a lampstand. Then the light shines for all the people in the house.

In the same way, you should be a light for other people. Live so that they will see the good things you do. Live so that they will praise your Father in heaven.”

Discussion Questions

  • Who is a light that gives light to the world?  Anyone who has Jesus in his heart.
  • Should you hide your light or let other people see your light for Jesus? Let it shine for other people to see.
  • How should you live? So that other people will see the good things you do and will praise your Father in Heaven.


Prayer

Dear God,
Thank you for helping us let our lights shine for you!  Thank you for being with us wherever we go, and helping us to be lights shining for you.   
Amen.

Bible Verse for May

 “Be strong and brave. The Lord your God will be with you everywhere you go.”
Joshua 1:9


Activity: Flashlight Freeze

This game will be played like Red Light/Green Light, but with a little twist.  When the flashlight is on, everyone is free to move around the room; they can jump, dance, skip, walk, or whatever they would like.  Once the flashlight goes off, everyone must freeze. See how still they can be until the light comes back on.

  • Discuss: how can other people see your light shining for Jesus? What kinds of things can you do to be a light for him?


Cooking: Edible Candles

Each family member will get to make his or her own snack using the following items:
  • Large Stick Pretzels
  • Pre-sliced cheese
  • Plastic knives for cutting


Guide your child to cut his own “flame” shape out of the cheese and stick it to the top of his pretzels.


Singing: This Little Light of Mine

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Don't let Satan blow it out,
I'm gonna let it shine
Don't let Satan blow it out,
I'm gonna let it shine
Don't let Satan blow it out,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.
  
Shine all over [name of town]
I'm gonna let it shine
Shine all over [name of town]
I'm gonna let it shine
Shine all over [name of town]
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.