Tuesday, November 5, 2013

God is kind to Widow

1 Kings 17:7-16



After a while the brook dried up because there was no rain.  Then the Lord spoke his word to Elijah, “Go to Zarephath in Sidon.  Live there, I have commanded a widow there to take care of you.”

So Elijah went to Zarephath.  When he reached the town gate, he saw a widow there.  She was gathering wood for a fire. Elijah asked her, “Would you bring me a little water in a cup?  I would like to have a drink.”  As she was going to get his water, Elijah said, “Please bring me a piece of bread, too.”

The woman answered , “As surely as the Lord your God lives, I tell you the truth.  I have no bread.  I have only a handful of flour in a jar.  And I have only a little olive oil in a jug.  I came here to gather some wood.  I will take it home and cook our last meal.  My son and I will eat it and then die from hunger.”

Elijah said to her, “Don’t worry, Go home and cook your food as you have said.  But first make a small loaf of bread from the flour you have.  Bring it to me. Then cook something for yourself and your son.  The Lord, the God of Israel, says, “That jar of flour will never become empty.  The jug will always have oil in it.  This will continue until the day the Lord sends rain to the land.”

So the woman went home.  And she did what Elijah told her to do.  So Elijah, the woman and her son had enough food every day.  The jar of flour and the jug of oil were never empty.  This happened just as the Lord, through Elijah, said it would be.

Discussion Questions



·   God sent Elijah to Sidon so that someone could care for him.  Who was it?  A Widow
·   What did Elijah ask her for? A drink of water and bread
·   What was the widow running out of? Flour and oil to make food
·   Did Elijah, the widow, or her son ever run out of food?  No, God provided every day.


Prayer



Dear God,

Thank you for always giving us just what we need.  Please help up remember to trust you completely for all things.   Amen.


Bible Verse for November



“Give thanks to the Lord.  His love is forever.”    1 Chronicles 16:34


Activity



Rhyme:  The Widow Kneads the Bread for Elijah

Material Needed:  Play doh

As you read in the Bible story the Widow made bread for Elijah.
Have your child knead the play doh pretending it is bread.  While
kneading have your child sing the rhyme below:

One, two, God loves you!
Three, four, do it some more!
Five, six, knead and mix
Seven, eight, God is great!
Nine, ten, say amen!