Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Mary Hears the Good News

Matthew 1:18-25


The mother of Jesus Christ was Mary.  And this is how the birth of Jesus came about.  Mary was engaged to marry Joseph.  But before they married, she learned that she was going to have a baby.  
She was pregnant by the power of the Holy Spirit.  Mary’s husband, Joseph, was a good man.  He did not want to disgrace her in public, so he planned to divorce her secretly.

While Joseph thought about this, an angel of the Lord came to him in a dream.  The angel said, “Joseph, descendant of David, don’t be afraid to take Mary as your wife.  The baby in her is from the Holy Spirit..  She will give birth to a son.  You will name the son Jesus.”  Give him that name because  he will save his people from their sins.”

All this  happened to make clear the full meaning of what the Lord had said through the prophet:  “The virgin will be pregnant.  She will have a son, and they will name him Immanuel.”  This name means “God is with us.”

When Joseph woke up, he did what the Lord’s angel had told him to do.  Joseph married Mary.  And Joseph named the son Jesus.


Discussion Questions

  • Who was Jesus Christ’s mother?  Mary
  • Mary was going to marry a good man.  What was his name? Joseph.
  • Why did they name him Jesus?  He will save his people from sin.
  • What does Immanuel mean?  God with us.


Prayer

Dear God,

Thank you for the story of Joseph and Mary.  Please help us remember that God so loved the world he sent his son Jesus to save us from our sin.  
Amen.

Bible Verse for December


“God loved us and sent His son.    1 John 4:10


Activity


Song:  Three Little Angels

God placed three little angels round my head
one to sing one to pray and one to keep me safe at play


God placed three little angels round my bed one to sing one pray and one to keep me safe 'til day


God placed three little angels round my head
one to singone to prayand one to keep me safe at play


He gave me Jesus on Christmas Eve,
I am celebrating,
I do believe.
Jesus is born! Angels sing on high!

God placed three little angels round my bed
One to sing
One pray
And one to keep me safe 'til day

He gave me Jesus on Christmas Eve,
I am celebrating,
I do believe.
Jesus is born! Angels sing on high!


God placed three little angels round my bedone to singone prayand one to keep me safe 'til day

He gave me Jesus on Christmas Eve, 
I am celebrating, 
I do believe. 
Jesus is born! Angels sing on high!