Monday, April 24, 2017

Jesus Goes to Heaven

Matthew 28:16-20 Luke 24:44-51; Acts 1:6-11




Jesus had told his disciples, “I gave my life so that you could be with me in heaven.  I am going there to prepare a wonderful new home for you.  When I come back the next time, I will take you with me.”
But now it is time for Jesus to leave.
Jesus said, “God has given me complete power over heaven and earth.  Go and tell everyone the good news.  Make new disciples.  Baptize them and teach them to obey my commandments.  Don’t ever forget, I will always be with you.”
“Go to Jerusalem and wait there,” said Jesus.  “The Holy Spirit will come to you.  He will give you power to tell people about me.  Now the time has come for me to go to heaven.  Do not be afraid.”
Then Jesus went up toward heaven in a cloud.  His disciples stared at the sky for a long time.
All of a sudden, two angels appeared.  They asked, “Why are you standing here looking at the sky? Jesus will return the same way you saw him go.”
Then the disciples remembered what Jesus had said.  They returned to Jerusalem and waited for the Holy Spirit to come.


Discussion Questions


  • Where is Jesus going? Heaven
  • Are his disciples and followers going with him? No, when he comes back the next time, he will take us with him.
  • What does Jesus ask them to do?  Make new disciples, baptize them, and teach them my commandments.
  • How did he go to heaven? He went toward heaven on a cloud.


Prayer

Dear God, thank you for making us and loving us.  Please help us to remember to follow your ways. Amen 

Memory Verses

“Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life.’”
John 14:6

Craft Jesus goes to Heaven

Materials needed:  paper or plastic cup, cotton balls, glue, tape, yarn, scissors, and crayons


  • Glue cotton balls to cup
  • Draw and/or cut a picture of Jesus 
  • Tape yarn to the bottom of the cup
  • Glue or tape the picture of Jesus to the yarn.